Friday, April 6, 2007

Using a Blog to do the teaching

On Monday 16th April I am presenting at Huntingtowers' Professional Learning Day. My brief is to provide samples of many different ways teachers can incorporate ICT ( Information Communication Technologies) in their classrooms - from Prep through to year 12. I will do my best to try to inspire them with examples of Blogs, Podcasts, using programs such as MovieMaker, Photostory, imovie, Comic Life and embracing mobile technologies such as phones and iPods. After my talk staff will break up into groups and they have an hour and a half to "produce something" using any of these technologies.

To encourage staff to use the technology, instead of producing a handout, I have included the task requirements for one group, here on my Blog. So welcome !.

Your task is ;
1) to post a comment in my Blog about my presentation today - good bits, bad bits, how I could improve, (anything really !)
2) Make your own Blog
3) it must have at least one "post"
4) A link to a website
5) A photo ( it can be of you or anything else)
6) You must include links to the Blogs of the other staff in your group
7) Make a comment in another persons Blog
8) Inlcude information about yourself in the profile section
These are the mininum requirements. As in any classroom offering a "differentiated curriculum", there are many more aspects you may choose to include, if you have time.

You may use any of these free sites, Blogger.com, Edublogs , Schoolblogs.com or Classblogmeister.com. Although at the time I wrote this, there was some difficulty with the Schoolblogs site. You may even be adventurous and find another site to host your Blog. Good Luck and I look forward to linking to your sites.

9 comments:

James Farmer said...

Alas poor schoolblogs it is no more, an inspirational project in it's time though none the less!

One more good reason to go to Edublogs is that you'll also get a free, ad free, wiki from wikispaces :)

And we've got a great community.

And loads of great plugins.

And... OK, I'll be quiet now :)

Thanks for the link!

James

Meredith said...

Thank you for an engaging and inspiring presentation.
I have just purchased a 30G ipod and am looking forward to using it in my classroom.

Meredith

J Goddard said...

Thanks for an intersting and informative presentation. We are looking forward to experimenting with technology in our classroom starting with a blog with our year nines this term.

Jody and Fiona

Susan said...

I am determined to incorporate more ICT into my classroom teaching.

Mary said...

I enjoyed your presentation and wish I had more time to explore how to use each medium in a library environment.

Mark said...

Hi Helen,

thank you for reminding us oldies today to pick up our booties and get with the times...

blogs yours truly,

Mark

Peter Marks said...

Thanks

Material well presented and interesting. Lots of food for thought. Contents are a little scary, but it would be good to catch up at least a little with my own kids and students.

Problems of abuse are always present and neeed to be thought through.

Mrs Hamzi said...

Thanks for the great inspiration. I cannot wait to create a librar blog.

David Fletcher said...

Hi Helen,

Thanks for your challenging ideas. I thought my "IT" skills were uptodate with Photoshop, Illustrator, TurboCAD and ProDesktop !! These are DESIGN programs, but I now appreciate the range of personal communication ideas, meeting kids where they are at !!